Academics at Safe Harbor
The Safe Harbor is a registered private school in the State of Florida. Our academic philosophy is built on the belief that education is a life long process and occurs in every area of life. At Safe Harbor the foundation to a balanced education is the understanding that varied and unique learning styles exist, and identifying the particular style of a student ensures he will achieve maximum success. Integrating a students unique learning style with traditional and active learning, hands-on and critical thinking skills, developed in an atmosphere seeking and requiring excellence, empowers students to achieve maximum success. Thus, learning becomes fun, stimulating, and its own reward.
Academics are a core component of the overall Safe Harbor Academy program. Due to behavioral challenges, many new students come to Safe Harbor academically delayed. The academic and overall program helps students recover from these delays and regain lost ground. The curriculum combined with the unique and creative learning approach supports students who previously have not experienced success in the academic setting.
The overall program, including vocational and maritime elective credit classes, reinforce “real life” learning. Key academic and life lessons are melded into the overall program helping students discover their true interests and abilities, while strengthening and helping students develop positive character qualities in their lives.
- • Academic core courses four days per week
- • Study hall required & supervised four nights per week (if academic goals not met)
- • Experiential learning is an important component of the overall program & reinforces academic learning concepts
- • Flexible block scheduling to ensure academics are enhanced and reinforced with the maritime, vocational, and elective courses – also prevents student burnout
- • Spiritual Integration of biblical principles into daily life
- • Personal Values, Character, Integrity and Wisdom taught and reinforced daily in the classroom and throughout the program
Graduating students usually go on to enroll in two year, four year and major colleges, and all branches of the Armed Services.
Safe Harbor Graduation Requirements
|English – 4 Credits||Science – 3 Credits|
|Economics – .5 Credit||P.E./Health – 1 Credit|
|Personal Finance – .5 credit*||American Government – .5 Credit|
|Math – 4 Credits||Fine Arts – 1 Credit|
|American History -1 Credit||World History – 1 Credit|
|Constitution – 1 credit*||Maritime Classes – 8 Credits|
*required by Safe Harbor Academy program for graduation